Lasagné, but not as you know it! This tasty altérnativé is madé with succulént chickén thighs, cookéd in orégano and chilli and simméréd in a rich tomato saucé.
Layéréd with frésh pasta and créamy chéésé saucé, this comforting dinnér idéa and invéntivé lasagné récipé sérvés two and can bé réady in undér an hour.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken thigh fillets, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- large pinch chilli flakes
- ½ tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 fresh lasagne sheets
For the cheese sauce
- 20g butter
- 20g plain flour
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 80g Cheddar, grated
- ½ tsp English mustard
1. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the chicken and brown. Set aside in a bowl.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the pan; cook for 5 mins, or until softened. Stir in the oregano, chilli, tomato purée and tomatoes, then return the chicken with any juices; season. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 mins.
3. For the sauce, melt the butter in a pan, then stir in the flour; cook for 1 min. Gradually add the milk. Bring to the boil, then simmer, stirring, for 5 mins. Remove from the heat. Stir in 60g cheese and the mustard; season.
4. Spoon half the chicken mixture into a small baking dish. Top with 2 lasagne sheets, then the remaining chicken. Top with the last 2 lasagne sheets. Pour over the sauce and scatter over the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 mins, or until golden.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months.
To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.